Friday, December 8, 2006

And more music rehearsals!

Last night, I decided to just head over to the theatre early after work. So, I got to talk with some of the other cast members waiting for 7:30pm too. Can I tell you how much I love the woman playing Soupy Sue? We met doing The Thing About Men last year playing opposite each other as Man and Woman. I think we clicked the first day and have been pretty good friends ever since. The actor playing Bobby Strong saw the show in NYC and liked it as much as we did. He said he wanted to play the part that I played.......uh, back off, Bobby!!! Also, the actress playing Little Sally and her husband, the director, have two teacup dogs that are so adorable. Everyone in the cast loves watching and playing with them. The actress playing Josephine Strong found the clip of Urinetown on YouTube and has become somewhat addicted to it like I am at times. I hear she has knit stuff for cast members before....hmmm...I wonder what I want. :)

We reviewed the music we already learned and then learned "Privilege to Pee" and part of "Run, Freedom, Run". I'm a bit perplexed because I'm not sure if I should be singing "Privilege to Pee" after the first half because they are singing to me at one point. I just decided that I'll learn it and find out where I shouldn't sing and then they'll have to adjust the voice parts accordingly.

While learning the acapella part of "Run, Freedom, Run"(we spent too much time of reviewing and only had 10 minutes left), the music director still wondered about Bobby Strong saying "three, four" before we returned back to the original tempo and finished out the song. To resolve this, I emailed a person who was in the original cast to find out if there was some meaning or reference about that part. He told me that basically it's for the comedy and that "three, four" is universally the way people get back into a song, but if we wanted to change it to me musically 'correct', that was ok too. Also, we changed the chord structure during the acapella part so the tenors don't hit the high B. Darn, I was looking forward to screaming the B. If I'm bold, I'm going to do it because they have some women on the B and some on their written note(s). The musical director just wanted to save our voices, but I think a true tenor can hit a B with no problem.

Some of the cast is called on Saturday morning to learn the "Cop Song", but not me because.....I'M NOT IN IT!!! YEA! More downtime backstage!

No comments: