Saturday, March 31, 2007

Back to AIDA

I finally went to my first super rehearsal after the first meeting this past Tuesday. I was a little nervous to go back after missing about 4 rehearsals. Well, until I actually got put in. They luckily decided to 'tweak' the staging, and it was simple anyway. After running the new staging a few times, they added the dancers.

The next day we had the first rehearsal with the chorus, dancers and kids and some of the leads. Wow! What a lot of people. I saw the 2 guys that I sing in church with, my friend Gary Navy, and also Carolina Botero, who I did Fiorello! with this past September. Also Nick who I did 'Whorehouse' with last year.

We ran the 'Triumphant March' a couple times and then did the "Ethiopian capture" scene where we have the whitest Ethiopians you've ever seen. Yes, there are a couple of black men and women. But the majority is white.

After those 2 rehearsals, I had second thoughts about auditioning for the HGO chorus. I think it would be great money, but it seemed like a step back because it's even less to do than a chorus of a musical. I think it's still harder to get into than most theatre stuff.

No comments: