Sunday, February 11, 2007

NYC Trip (2/09/07) The Apple Tree and Evil Dead: The Musical

Friday (2/09/07) Woke up around 8am and thought I was late for getting a good spot for the TKTS line, but I was near the front of the line. I found out that a lot of people don't like to wait hours in the line when it is so cold out - so I lucked out. I struck up a conversation with two women on either side of me. One from New York and the other from Louisiana (who was here for a dog show). Me and New York woman were educating the woman from Louisiana about the TKTS line and things around the city. While we were waiting, a woman came up to us to fill out a survey. New York woman volunteered and we found out later that they survey woman was from the Scientology place. I found out some scary stuff about that because NY woman's husband had a friend who was a part of that and then when he tried to leave - it was very difficult exit process. Scary!


The Apple Tree (8pm)- Mike McGowan was in for Brian D'Arcy last night. I was looking forward to seeing D'Arcy, but McGowan gave a great performance. I've seen Marc Kudish on some TV spots for musicals, but never live - until now! And I really enjoy his great stage presence onstage. Kristin was perfection last night...well, except for when there was a loud sound coming from maybe the lights during "Lady and the Tiger." She kept referring to it, first to Walter Charles (who did not break - but Kristin did) and then to Kudish (who both broke and had to be prompted by the conductor to get back into the show). I loved all 3 shows and liked how they all related to each other. "I love brown."

Evil Dead: The Musical (11pm)- well this was a complete 180 degrees from The Apple Tree. For what it was, it was fun. No, I did not sit in the "Splatter Zone." I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had seen the movie first. I noticed there were lots of people who did who were quoting the famous lines along with the actors. I think it's a great premise, and performances were good, but I felt that if some actors took their character more seriously (which all of the female actors did) instead of letting us in on the joke - I would have enjoyed it more. I think they were playing for the laughs a bit much, but with that audience I can see why.

No comments: