Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Farewell, Urinetown. Hello, Side Show!

Ok, I just realized that I never wrote a last post for Urinetown.

Well, we closed the show a couple weeks ago on January 27. The cast was sad to see the show end because we had such a great time doing it, and also that we were just starting to build an audience in the last couple weeks of the show. And people were getting it....in Texas! Yeah, really! Well, we hope that we can find another venue to do the show again. I'm not sure how aggressively we will make an effort to find it - but I hope it happens. We also have to make sure everyone's schedule can do it - so we can bring the original cast back.

It was a great ride and I had a great bunch of people to take that journey every night. I remember that it was hard to find how much stamina you needed for the show, because our first real run-thru of the show was our first preview. I just felt like we were running a marathon - especially in Act 2 where most of the ensemble is onstage without leaving for 3 musical numbers. But after a while, I found my pacing and made it through the show fine every night. It was a pain that I had a lot of chest congestion and had to fight through all that for pretty much the entire run of the show- but I made it. Hey, the show must go on!

And now I am starting rehearsal for Side Show for a newly formed theatre company in Houston called Arneson Productions. We had a couple music rehearsals before I went to NYC. The cast sounds great. I can't wait to learn the entire show. I can tell that my high range is coming back and it's much easier than I remember now that I've learned a better technique for those high notes. We perform the show at Ovations in Rice Village on March 3 & 4 as a concert staging and then we peform a full production in July.

I play the Geek. Yes, I know people have said that I was typecast..but it's not THAT type of Geek. A Geek in a Side Show is a performer who performs bizarre acts such as biting the heads off of chickens. The director, Kent Arneson, told me at first rehearsal that they have a fake chicken all rigged up with fake blood in it...so I get to actually do it onstage and have the blood drip all over...YES!

Anyway, since I was in NYC last week, I missed about 3 rehearsals. So, tomorrow I'm ready to catch up as quickly as possible. This is sure to be a great show. Hope to see you there!

Check out the cast pics on www.myspace.com/arnesonproductions

No comments: