Sunday, February 11, 2007

NYC Trip (2/10/07) The Drowsy Chaperone and Les Miz

I thought TKTS opened at 9am for Saturday matinees, but was suprised when I got there at 8:30am and was near the front - really near. I think I was 4th when I got there and then these 2 girls decided to leave when their show didn't show up on the screen where it shows you what shows are available. Anyway, I looked at the box office hours sign and saw that it didn't open until 10am. No wonder. Then, I met Michael again for lunch at this great little Chinese/Vietnamese restaurant that he goes to regularly now after I got my tickets at TKTS.

The Drowsy Chaperone
(2pm matinee) - Sutton Foster and Joey Sorge were out of the show at the Saturday matinee performance I saw. Andrea Chamberlin and Jay Douglas were on. Andrea was great and sounds very similar to Sutton. Bob Martin as Man in Chair was hilarious and touching at the same time. The show is absolutely everything I have heard. I related with the Man in Chair very much. As many people who know me will agree. Danny Gurwin as Adolpho was perfection. Great character. I would love to do this role or Gangster #1. Or be a swing and play both those roles - and add George, the best man. I'm sure this show will be produced in Houston as soon as the rights are available in the near future. And one of my favorite moments in the show was the first 'production number' in Act 2. Very clever show!

Les Miserables (8pm evening) - I got front row seats! But actually, the seats were a bit TOO close to the stage. Some downstage scenery tended to block any scene behind it. Which happened a couple time during "Master of the House" and the Wedding scene near the end of Act 2. I loved some of the new staging and some added scenes from tours and the London production in this revival. Alexander Geminani was a great Jean Valjean. Some interesting new acting choices and more of an active personality that some I have seen before. Norm Lewis was perfection as Javert. I love his voice. Gary Beach and Jenny Galloway worked well together as the Thenardiers. I just loved getting to see Jenny after seeing her on the 20th anniversary performance on video. Great voices from the ensemble and most everyone got their moment in the show.

I met new friend, Victor Hawks (who had some great moments in the ensemble and Brujon), after the show at the stage door. As we talked, I got introduced to Daphne Rubin-Vega, Drew Sarich and Norm Lewis. Vic mentioned that I was doing Side Show and Norm immediately said - "So, you're playing Jake, right". And I looked at him with a puzzled look on my face. He said, "Well, you can play Jake." and I said - "Yea, but they already got a real...black guy." which he completed the sentence with me. Then he laughed and gave me a big hug! Very sweet guy! And he's so tall.

While Vic and I were talking, he brought up the subject of me moving to NYC. I was taken aback because I have been thinking of this lately. He pretty much advised me to take "the jump". It's funny because a few years ago, I would have done it in a minute. But over the years, I've been afraid to take more risks and do what people tell me to do and be a responsible person and just settle. I remember my first trainer told me a bit of good advice - "Don't Settle!" I see people doing making a living as an actor - and I silently say to myself, I can do this! But I wanted the security of a steady paycheck - which was good for a while, but lately....not so good.

So I guess what I'm saying is that what Vic said really made me think as I walked away and rode back on the subway to the place I was staying . I woke up this morning with a sense of calm and serenity.

I think it's time to make "the jump"! Thanks, Vic - what you said was exactly what I needed to hear!

No comments: