Friday, January 5, 2007

We Opened!

Just back from our opening night performance. We had a great show and a great audience. The show was much better than last night's preview. Of course anything that could go wrong did - so it was pretty much a typical final preview before opening. Unfortunately, the Houston Chronicle theatre critic decided to come last night and gave us a good, but lukewarm review. He liked the show and the performances, but kept comparing us to the tour and Broadway production.

At the reception after tonight's show, I reconnected with a very sweet, beautiful lady named Faye Woodworth. She did shows at College of the Mainland years back when I was doing them as well. She usually did the straight plays, while I did most of the musicals. But she always made a point to say how much she enjoyed my work onstage. And I loved hearing it from her because she is a wonderful actress. She told me tonight that she still enjoys watching me onstage. I told her that I think of her often. She was kind of surprised i said that. But I really do.

One time during our COM years, we had a conversation about why I never did straight plays and thought that I would be good. I was just in awe that someone who was a great actor thought I could act and encouraged me to try a non-musical play. I was mainly in musicals...so I really didn't think I could act and let my singing get me through. So I never really did a straight play until Stalag 17 in 2005. When I got in the show, I thought of her because of what she said. Mark Adams, who directed Stalag 17 , also encouraged me to do plays other than musicals. For both of them, I am truly grateful. And probably why I'm still in this crazy business.

Sometimes, it just takes someone to believe in you.

No comments: