Monday, August 20, 2007

Much Needed Update

Well, it's been a long while since I posted something on here. I just finished performing as the Geek in the Houston Premiere of Side Show for Arneson Productions. We had a great time doing the show and the show was a great success.

I am currently in Salem, MA visiting an old friend of mine. He graciously let me stay in his apartment while I auditioned in New York for a regional production of Les Miserables for North Shore Music Theatre. I flew to Boston on Sunday the 12th. Mike picked me up and we got to catch up and eat pizza that night. The next morning I took a train to New York City and stayed with another friend, Mitch. Caught up with Mitch and then met up with my friend from Houston, Michael and got dinner at Chipolte before going to see a friend's show at York Theatre called Triumphant Baby. Michael just did a show with a guy I did summer stock with years ago, Allen. He also saw the show with us along with two other friends of both Michael and Allen.

Tuesday was the day of the audition for Les Miz. As I was walking down the street to the Chelsea Studios where the auditions were being held, I saw Leslie Kritzer and Harvey Fierstein walking the opposite way. They must have been on a break from rehearsing The Catered Affair which is about to open soon. I arrived to be number 43 on the non-equity male audition list. We were told to come back at Noon (after most of the union/equity guys had already auditioned). When we came back they put us in a line by the order you signed up and since they had so many union audition, they had to type out. Unfortunately, I was typed out and what was left was skinny, young, pretty, white guys - with one black guy. Ah well, found out later that that is the director's preference. Ah well, I was going in for a couple more auditions, but I recently found some news that I will reveal later as soon as it is confirmed.

Of course, I had to see shows. I ended up seeing Xanadu the musical, Curtains, Les Miz revivial (again), and Legally Blonde. I enjoyed all of them. I then went back to Boston on Friday. Saturday morning, drove to East Haddam and Chester, CT to see two productions at Goodspeed Opera House. High Button Shoes and Happy Days the musical. I've never seen a production of High Button and this was was good. I didn't really care for the male lead, but the rest of the cast was great. Ken Jennings was in the show which was so great since I just did Urinetown and Side Show.

Happy Days was ok. There was some miscasting of Potsie and Ralph Malph, but it was great to see Joey Sorge and Felicia Finley onstage. The cast performances were great, but the show was not so. There might be some chance if they reworked some things, but who knows. Yesterday, I got to see a tech rehearsal of North Shore's The Three Muskateers and tonight I'll see the run-thru. Then tomorrow morning, I will be off on a plane back to Houston.

Come back soon to hear the big news! As soon as I find out for sure, I will post it on here.

No comments: