Friday, April 6, 2007

Onstage Rehearsal at the Brown

I've never been backstage at the Brown Theatre. It, of course, is huge and a big maze. When I got there, some of the supers were huddled by the callboard. Finally, after a while, another super and I followed one of the chorus guys in to find some of the cast sitting in the house. Ok, this is what I was used to.

We just ran over the 'Triumphal' scene last night. We rehearsed until 11:30pm! It was fine until the very end. Just a lot of re-spacing of everyone on stage and finding all the things going wrong like chorus people not moving fast enough.

Our facial hair needs to be removed by this Saturday night when we have our first piano dress rehearsal. I have mine down to a mustache. It's funny, for some of the other supers removing their facial hair is a big deal. I'm looking forward to seeing what are costumes are gonna look like now. I heard that we may be wearing a loincloth for the Ethiopian slave costume and wearing a body suit underneath. I guess that saves on the makeup. We will see!

I have to say that the other supers are great people. Very friendly and funny too. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone more as the show runs. We'll have a lot of time to find out more about each other in the coming days.

Ok, funny moment from last night. As the rehearsal was stopped for a moment, the supers were center stage with the woman playing Ameneris downstage of us. Well, one of the guys turns to her and decides to strike up a conversation (imagine this with a thick Texas accent), "Do you sing in the play?" A couple of the experienced supers turned upstage and laughed their heads off. However, she was very gracious.

No comments: